NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SXV-H9 and guidehead - Orientation?

My set up consists of SXV-H9 imaging through a 10" SCT and the SX guidehead imaging through a WO ED guidescope.(Piggybacked).

I've read somewhere that the orientation of the two cameras is crucial.

Does anyone know the correct orientation I should have, given my set up?

I did read that the long guider sockets on the cameras should run vertically with the LED on the right with the scopes pointed North (Polaris)....does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Barry.

Depending on the guiding software you use, the orientation is NOT critical as most guiding programs calibrate and this allows for the orientation. However, I like to start off with everything in a 'known' position so that if necessary, I can fault-find.

The SXV head thin plug should be vertical with respect to the top of the SCT. The flat mounting base of the SXC-H9C bracket should also be vertical with respect to the top of the SCT. This means that the wide edge of the two CCDs moves in the same plane as the RA axis - a good place to start!

Good luck, Barry, let me know if you need any more info like photos etc.

In the following image, the Guide camera is in the orientation I recommend but the Main imaging camera is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise from my recommended orientation:-

piggyback_3.jpg

Archived