Decent eyepieces, what ones to get?

Hi All,

Have finally taken the plunge an ordered an Altair Astro 102mm APO refractor from Tring Astro. Will be a couple of months before its ready to be shipped.

Thinking of some decent, but not hugely expensive eyepieces I am looking at the Baader Hyperion eyepieces, these look a good match for the scope.

Do any forum members have any comments, good or bad with these eyepieces?

thanks

Nick

I believe the scope is an F/7. The Hyperions are good but may show some astigmatism in the outer parts of the field of view. That focal ratio is sort of on the cusp for the Hyperions. Depends how fussy you want to be about sharp stars all the way across the field or just the majority of it.

I believe the scope is an F/7. The Hyperions are good but may show some astigmatism in the outer parts of the field of view. That focal ratio is sort of on the cusp for the Hyperions. Depends how fussy you want to be about sharp stars all the way across the field or just the majority of it.

Thanks John, the F number is correct for this scope, as you say. I might consider the Altar EPs, a bit more expensive though.

Thanks John, the F number is correct for this scope, as you say. I might consider the Altar EPs, a bit more expensive though.

Explore Scientific and Maxvision eyepieces may well do better in the scope than the Hyperions. First Light Optics are selling those now:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/243216-explore-scientific-eyepieces/

I have used Hyperions albeit only two in my APO F 7 scope and in my opinion you can do better for your money. Depends on what F/L you are looking for but give Maxvisons from FLO a look and I know John's recent report on some of the new Vixens was very pleasing to read, I have one come (from Neptune I think) so should be having a look myself soon. ExSc UWA's are a little more than Hyperions but I would say better eyepieces with wider fields, though there are also 68 degree offerings which are the same elements as the Maxvision, all these are stocked by FLO

Max Vision was a Meade cancelled order and were once priced much higher than they are now and are dam good eyepieces in scopes up about F5.5, faster than this they get found out...

TeleVue Plossl eyepiece are excellent quality and not massively expensive but only 52 degree FOV, I love them on planets but they also like orthoscopics have short eye-relief and pretty much impossible to use with glasses on

Do not forget good old orthoscopics from Baader, small field but stunning quality at high powers.

Alan

Archived