NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Permanent mount and video astronomy/imaging

bomberbaz

Hello all. 

I am currently setup mainly to do visual (see my sig) although I do own a pretty decent astro video cam (PD1)

I am toying with the idea of setting up a pillar in my garden to mount an EQ head permanently to which I can add when needed a OTA and fix said PD1 and operate from the comfort of my PC which is just inside the house. However before I take it any further i have a few questions I need answering.

1. Are all pillars permanent fixed or is there a removable option available in the market.
  2. Has anyone got a similar setup and if so, can the pillar and EQ mount head be left out all the time.
  3. What are estimate costs of setting this up, the OTA I ws considering was a SW explorer 200PDS (est weight including extras, 15kg tops)

Reason for me considering this option is i simply dont get out and about as much these days and the garden has pretty bad LP, however I have used the PD1 from the garden a few times already and the results were pretty good. So the option to live feed to a pc does appeal a lot and couple that with the ability to leave it 2/3 permanently set up has really got me interested.

Anyway, tia for any answers and be prepared for more qeustions from me, I will have many.

regards

steve

Hi Steve,

I have a 'portable' pillar, it does break down into struts, legs and pilar which is a considerable weight!. I would leave it in the garden permanently except the setters would use as a peeee post!! I have  a triple   Skytee II as the mount, which is on top of the crows nest so can take most mounts.

post-3788-0-76087800-1431619069_thumb.jp

1. A number of ways exist - you could pull up a paving slab, dig down and pour a base then bold a metal pier on. If you remove it you can just put sand down to space between the concrete and the underside of the slab and reslab it.

2. I have a pillar + EQ head setup under a cover, build log: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/226305-garden-pier/

3. Expense - not too bad but made it an octagon concrete rather than a steel based pier. 

To setup I just need to mount the scopes, it maintains a decent alignment (good enough for most things). It's also very stable. I will run a 12V power connector feed into the garage this summer (I have all the bits just need to find time todo it - including the conduit under ground).

This is a great idea! Although I have a 10'x4' RoRo observatory, these days,

I do all of my *Video Astronomy* entirely from a desktop PC in my "lounge".

There is a certain time / money / skill investment, but nothing is impossible?

In restrospect, I did not need a full sized observatory, and would probably go

for a "mini-observatory" or simply (as you envisage) permanent pier outside.

I see many ideas for protecting mounts outside! Inverted plastic bins etc? :p

But since you MENTION video astronomy a few ideas for the "electronics". 

*Personally* (At variance with 90% of Astronomers! lol) I didn't want to run a

remote laptop outside, so I drive everything via 30m cables of various types!

(The LHC is connected via long cable not surrounded by 1000s of Laptops) ;)

Central to this is getting a proper (working) USB link. This for mount control

and (optional, but highly desirable) remote focussing... Such as one of these:

http://www.amplicon.com/Data-Comms/product/USB-USB-USB-4654.cfm (Works with a USB Hub too!)

Frustration has taught me that cheaper devices simply don't work reliably. 

Video Astronomers can usually route camera signals (e.g. the Phil Dyer?) via

simple coax. If the camera interface is USB, you may have to "think harder". 

Longer and Faster USB links are a possibility, but cost significantly more.

Aside: I run a total of four coaxes for budget (£30-50!) mini cams which I use

for "alignment cam", "finder cam", "site-monitoring cam", and "all-sky cam".

But such has evolved with time and personal need...

These are multiplexed by simple analogue switch to a small monitor screen.

This is a typical 4:3, 10" monitor of the sort used for "in car entertainment" etc. 

My PC is very basic indeed. A homebrew dual Celeron (still) running WinXP. :o

But the is destined for an upgrade, as and when... 

I drive the scope via Carte du Ciel Software, so, after an initial alignment via a

"alignment cam", I use "finder cam" or "main cam" for the rest of the session.

The main cam (Watec 120N+) is split between the monitor and the lounge TV.  

I record AVI files by GSTAR software, so I send a signal to a video dongle too!

The main "challenge" was remote camera control! A fair nightmare for a Watec

120N+! It has a 16-way DIN cable. Custom 10m extensions are produced, but

cost around £200 each. So I had to bite the bullet or otherwise "get crimping"!

FWIW, I route the (analogue) control signals over a *pair* of Cat 6 cables. ;)

You may be lucky! Many cameras have a simple "button box" and are set up

by on-screen display (OSD) You then only need to think "telephone cable"?

I also make some use of budget VIDEO pre-amps / splitters 'cos I need clean

signals over a 30m run. YYMV. But again, standard from the CCTV market.

I suspect that covers the MAIN "stuff to think about". But setups are individual? 

I am producing a website... but if any of the idea grabs, free to ask etc. etc.  :)

Sorry - Got a bit carried away... OT, but all grist for the mill? :D

Actually to add.

I found that long USB lines are problematical for numerous reasons. Instead I've opted to capture locally (use a old machine) then offload/control via wifi or cabled cat 6.

ok i have actually decided to go for remotely using my existing goto dob for now so I think my requirements will be a lot simpler. Going off what is said above I will need a longer cable for my PD1 camera, I believe a 10M one will suffice. I also need a USb to RS232 adaptor for the cable that fits into the handset, then a long USB cable of 10M.

Other than that I think that will suffice and I can do my observing from the commfort of my chair. My PC is fairly high powered and shouldnt have an issue driving things so jobs a good un. 

Question, will one of these cable work well enough for the purpose of USB connection http://www.cables2u.co.uk/active-repeater-extension-cable-high-speed-usb2-p-1021.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CNfz6_7iyMUCFSLKtAodODgA3A

Archived