Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar observations - 30th April

So it all started... (cue - wishy washy effects)... my daughter wanted me to trawl through the loft to find her long, lost teddy (bear with me on this, no pun intended  :grin: ) ...when I come across my old webcam, a Microsoft VX-6000. It got me thinking, could I possibly use this to video my moon viewings? I had seen a few DIY webcam posts on the net.... back to the teddy, oop... sorry I couldn't find it anywhere  :bunny:

Well after a bit of super glue, duck tape, an intrigued daughter and a driver download later it all seemed to be good to go... which on a Windows 8 laptop I was very surprised.

Its not the best of webcams but it did provide some nice comfortable viewing, which the family enjoyed also. I popped some footage onto YouTube and one of the videos I created I used an inverted effect with a yellow filter... call it pop art perhaps but I used it to enhance the view in a different way... one comment from my daughter - 'so the moon really is made out of cheese!' lol  :tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXT55oJsD_g

I have to say though the moon views seen directly through the 200P are amazing and I just sit for ages outside in awe! Also viewed Jupiter and Venus too  :smiley:

Nice one. Proper serendipitous discovery!

Thanks! I was really surprised it all worked with no hiccups... usually I'd be banging my head against a wall, especially with old devices such as these.

Archived