Collimation - My Arch Nemesis

If you want to easily collimate your telescope buy a Cheshire collimation tool. It will only take you a half an hour the first time, 5 minutes after that. A laser, used like you are doing, doesn't place the sec under the drawtube and is susceptible to "play" in the focuser and miscollimation of the laser itself. In other words nothing is repeatable. A barlowed laser is fine for the primary but..... if it ain't workin' try something else...

To me $150.00 to collimate your scope is ridiculous. Take time to learn how to use a Cheshire, buy one and then enjoy your scope. Apologies if I am too blunt. :smiley:

I just don't wanna spend any more $ on this thing before I use it a few times, but yeah I'll probably grab a cheshire. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean, but this tool will sort your scope out, they are not that much- Celestron makes a cost effective one. Try not to get more frustrated, collimation is easy. Once your Cheshire arrives, put a piece of paper behind the secondary, to block the primary view. Then using the sec screws, make the sec look round and centered under the focuser viewing through the Cheshire. This is 1/3 of collimation done. The rest is as easy or easier.

Many members can and will help you sort the scope out and using an easy, accurate tool will make this job a piece of cake. I give you credit for trying for 4 hrs...this is a good sign.

I know what you mean, but this tool will sort your scope out, they are not that much- Celestron makes a cost effective one. Try not to get more frustrated, collimation is easy. Once your Cheshire arrives, put a piece of paper behind the secondary, to block the primary view. Then using the sec screws, make the sec look round and centered under the focuser viewing through the Cheshire. This is 1/3 of collimation done. The rest is as easy or easier.

Many members can and will help you sort the scope out and using an easy, accurate tool will make this job a piece of cake. I give you credit for trying for 4 hrs...this is a good sign.

Lol thanks. It doesn't help both my laser collimators are way out of collimation, and the scope was actually really messed up from shipment apparently anyways. I guess I'll just grab one of those, the laser seems to be giving more of a headache than anything, and the batteries are $9 and barely last that long. 

Archived