Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron RACI Finder Scope to replace RDF

Hi All

I have a Nexstar 6SE and i hate the RDF that came with it i find it hard to align my scope precisely, i have seen a Celestron RACI finder scope which looks very good, and i have also read that it is better to use then a RDF if you live in a light polluted city as i do, can anyone tell me the pros and cons using this as a RDF replacement please.

Thanks 

Hi Dave,

The RDF is quite simple to use, and is probably the easiest to align with your scope. The disadvantage is that it is easy not to get to the same viewing point physically with your eye. Also there is no magnification there.

A RACI saves your back :grin:  and will provide an amount of magnification (you have not told us which one you may choose). Fundamentally you still have to accurately align your scope with the finder of whichever variety you choose.

Hi Dave,

Raci  is---  Right Angle Correct Image - so the view through is the right way up, so its easier to move your scope without working out which way is up or right - left :grin:. Also as it has the right angle, the eyepiece of the viewfinder is 90 degrees to  the telescope tube, it really does save your back!

As for light pollution, to complicate things a telrad is very good too!. Stick to the RACI first!!!

Archived