Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decision time

Hi all,

Now we've had a good solid patio built I decided that the time has come to trade in the 200p dobsonian for a tripod setup. It was with heavy heart I said goodbye to the old girl with her flocked tube and lazy Susan base..

Ok, so having sold a few guitars and a kidney or two..I'm currently torn between a 150 tube on HEQ5 mount, or a 200 tube on a C6 Vtx.

Both would be Maksutov-Cassegrain.

Read heaps of reviews which sway me towards the HEQ5, in terms of payload, stability and noise... would anyone have any thoughts on the aperture reduction of 50mm? Is this something I shouldn't be reducing if possible, I enjoy planetary imaging and deep sky viewing with my kids...

Thanks for any advice as always!

I have a SW MAK 150 on an HEQ5 and it's the business. The mount is totally comfortable with the OTA and tracks as well as with the ED80.

Additionally, it leaves you a bit of fudge factor to fit attachments such as DSLR/webcam etc. great views also. I'm attending Hay on Wye Dark Sky Fest at the moment and I brought the setup with me. Portable and attracting a lot of guys who are impressed by views

Archived