Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Pictor 1616XT

Hey there SGL!!

I'm Dustin, a newbie to both SGL and astrophotography in general. I was fortunate enough to acquire a lovely 12" Meade LX200 SCT complete with the equatorial wedge, entire Meade Pictor 1616XT imaging system, and off-axis auto-guider (which I may not need with the equatorial wedge if my alignment is precise). I was told that even though it's from the 90s, the Pictor 1616XT is one of the best amateur CCD systems made. Unfortunately, I don't have the SCSI adapter, and the drivers aren't behaving with my version of Windows, so I can't use this system right now.

Does anyone have this system, or any experience using it? I'd like to ask some questions regarding the setup, and request some photos of how it looks all setup. The newer Celestron CCDs look much easier to use, but I'd rather not spend the money on a new camera unless I have no other choice.

In the meanwhile, I've simply been using a Canon T3i mounted on a tripod, looking thru my eyepiece to take images. I don't even have a t-mount because finding one online has proven most difficult. I ordered one on Amazon from a camera company, and it was listed wrong and ended up being a stepping ring instead of a t-mount.

I believe I've reached the best image quality possible without a t-mount or CCD, and using a DSLR on a tripod to take any long exposure shots thru an eyepiece results in underwhelming images. I attached my best Jupiter photo to date. I can't imagine what I could accomplish with a better setup. I want to continue advancing in astrophotography! If nobody has any info regarding the Meade system, can you recommend any good CCD cameras that would work with my LX200 and cost under $1000?

Thanks!!

post-43994-0-51233700-1429284547.jpg

Pretty good image considering the method you are using.

There are three Meade dealerships in Toronto you could contact, but the parts you need are sure to be available on-line in Canada from most astronomy stores.

You need two items:

1) an SCT to T-Adapter, which screws onto the rear of your telescope after removing the diagonal. 

You could alternatively get a DSLR 2" or 1.25" T-Adapter, to allow your camera to slot into where your eyepieces go in the diagonal, but the diagonal is extra glass that you should try and avoid using.

2) After removing the camera lense, attach a Canon T-ring to your camera

You should then be able to attach your camera to the T-Adapter on the telescope.

Archived