NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Evostar 80 VS 100

Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to get more into deep-sky imaging, and I have been thinking about getting an apochromat scope (as my 200P is a bit too big, and apos are more geared towards deep-sky).

I've decided that it will probably be one of the skywatcher evostar scopes, as they look like good scopes for the job, and are reasonably priced.

However, I can't decide which one would be better. Many people have said that the 80 (or the 120, but that is a bit above-budget!) is the best scope for deep-sky as it has a faster F-ratio, but Rother Valley Optics sell it with a free SkyWatcher focal reducer/corrector, which would bring the ratio to the same F/7.5, but what advantages would a larger scope have?

I have also been thinking about possibly using this kind of scope as a more portable scope for general viewing, too, which is where I see the most advantages to a larger scope (100mm would resolve more than 80mm). However, this is just an idea. I'm more bothered about it being used for deep-sky imaging.

So what would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

David

I have the 100. It's a lovely scope with crisp images. Yes it comes with a reducer, but you can also get a reducer for the 80, which makes the 80 even more suitable for AP. The flip side is that visually the 100 pulls ahead. I settled for the compromise!

Depends on what you're after. If its mainly AP, then the 80ED with focal reducer gets you to F6.4, thats pretty decent for imaging (I have that one currently)

With both scopes you will not go wrong, i'd just try to get in the F5-7 range, high than that is pretty slow for DSO imaging.

Regards, Graem

The 80 ED is no slouch visually either. It will give you some breathtaking views of the Moon as well as reveal numerous belts and zones on Jupiter, including the red spot. It makes a terrific grab and go scope, you'll use a lot. Stick a cheap revelation binoviewer and a couple of 18mm plossls in it and you'll be amazed at the views.

It will make a great imager of DSOs but its nice to know your scope can perform in both camps, which the 80mm does beautifully.

Mike

Archived