Nexstar 127 SLT

Hi has anyone got this scope? How does it fair for observing only and is it a better buy than a 200p dob? I am looking to upgrade my skywatcher 130 to a mid entry scope and have a £400 max budget? Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

I have it and find it to be excellent. However it wont be much of an upgrade over your existing scope. Maks due to their focal length are best at planets and the moon, but with DSOs their small fov means you won't fit much in. Its also goto which is great for finding objects and imaging as it tracks, perhaps less useful for visual work when you'll most likely be using a lower power ep. One benefit is that cheap plossls will work just as well as expensive eps. Have a shop around but I'd say if youre purely a visual rather than a photographer type the 200p dob, or larger, should be top of your list. Not looked through one myself but have read and heard excellent things about it. I only discounted a larger dob as I don't have the space!

In fact you'll often find users with a big dob often have a mak or SCT to compliment it, bit like having different lenses for your camera.

Archived