Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 150 Evostar

I have serviced and cleaned the scope, found a grub screw from an old RC helicopter that just happened to fit.

Now, I am going to have to get a new mount as my old scope mount will collapse. Any suggestions? Will an EQ-5 be up to the task for viewing and light photo use...nothing long exposure. Would EQ-5 Synscan be able to drive this beast around for simple viewing fun, or is that just asking too much. If anyone knows of a suitable mount I don't mind buying S/H as long as its not too old and in good condition.

My eyepeices will not fit this, my scope is quite a bit older than this with smaller eyepeices, so i also need some advice on a reasonable couple of eyepeices for viewing mostly planets to start with. I will try some other stuff when i have the knack of the new scope and mount. Probably want to start out with some better budget eyepeices, once i find out where or even IF this scope excells for me, i will invest in some decent ones.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I've used an Evostar 150 on a Celestron CG5 mount which is the same as the EQ5 but the tripod has 2" steel tubed legs. It was OK for visual use but I'd not want to image with it on that mount. An HEQ5 would be better for visual and an EQ6 is really needed for imaging with such a scope. The long tube adds to the challenges for the mount !

Sounds like you need to get some 1.25" eyepieces !. The good news is that the scope is not too fussy at F/8 so decent plossls and orthoscopics work well as do widefields such as the BST Starguiders. First Light Optics sell Vixen NPL plossls for around £30 or you can keep an eye out on the used market on the UK Astro Buy & Sell website:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

The "Astroboot" site that is linked to from the above is worth a browse too.

Hi Richard,

I have a bresser/Meade 152 and I use a skytee either on 2" steel legs or pier. I would think as above that the mount would be fine, the Bst's are good budget EPs as are celestron excels.

Thanks John, and Damian. I am looking at a box set of Celestron Plossls at the moment, see what they go for! I will go for the EQ-5 mount, if i start mucking around with long exposures it will probably be with a bigger newt anyway, so the mount wont go to waste!

Archived