NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Leo Triplet

gnomus

Had a go at the Leo triplet a few nights back.  These are 11 x 7.5 minute light frames, 20 x flats and a master bias.  I have not used dark frames.  This is a modded Canon 600D through my Skywatcher ED80 (with reducer).

It is my first attempt at this area of the sky, and when scanning through the full-size version at 100% in Photoshop, I could see a number of various "smudges".  I reckoned I could make out another 7 objects that could be galaxies.  Does that sound about right?

As usual, I would welcome constructive criticism.   

post-39248-0-17472500-1428495739_thumb.j

Very nice image.

I had a go at that the other night.  From the top of my head have 30 x 180s lights at present.  Have not had a chance to get them processed yet, but from looking at one f my single RAW subs, I feel I may be Meatloaf on the image...........will see as have weekend to myself as Mrs S is away to Welsh Wales so can process to my hearts content. Fingers croessed it will be clear again so can get some more data on it.

You are right that there is an incredible amount of very faint signal from various sources in this field. Just for fun I'd have a go at a really aggressive stretch, ignoring the matter of producing a nice final image. Just try to find what's in there. See if you can see any trace of the tidal tail from the NGC galaxy. You might have more than you think.

Olly

You are right that there is an incredible amount of very faint signal from various sources in this field. Just for fun I'd have a go at a really aggressive stretch, ignoring the matter of producing a nice final image. Just try to find what's in there. See if you can see any trace of the tidal tail from the NGC galaxy. You might have more than you think.

Olly

'Fraid not ... I stretched it to within an inch of its life, but no sign of that tail.  Thanks anyway for the suggestion, because I had no idea that there was a tail associated with the NGC galaxy.  (I've looked up some images of it now and it is spectacular).

Oh well .... it looks like that is yet another object that I will have to put on my "must try harder" list.

'Fraid not ... I stretched it to within an inch of its life, but no sign of that tail.  Thanks anyway for the suggestion, because I had no idea that there was a tail associated with the NGC galaxy.  (I've looked up some images of it now and it is spectacular).

Oh well .... it looks like that is yet another object that I will have to put on my "must try harder" list.

The Must Try Harder list is the only list there is.... for anybody.

Olly

Is the skywatcher ed80 a telescope just for galaxy's , star constellations or can it be used for planetary work as well ?? .

Not just galaxy's and constellations. It works well for open clusters - the Pleiades being a good example.  You can certainly get nice views of the moon through it.  I have also used it for Jupiter, but if I'm going to concentrate on Jupiter I will tend to break out my SCT for that (longer focal length).

Archived