Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice needed on upgrade

Hi all, I would like some advice on the following idea regarding upgrading. I currently have the Skywatcher 130p Syncscan Alt-Az goto setup, which I have had for either 5 or 6 years. I love the scope and it has served me well over the years, giving me great views of objects and to dabble with a modified webcam for basic imaging.

Now I would like to upgrade and I am thinking of selling the above scope and getting the following from FLO, if it comes back in stock:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-eq3-pro-goto.html

I know it is the same size as I got now, but this will allow me to use my 1000D for Astrophotography where as at the moment, the 130p don't have enough inward travel to focus a DSLR. Also I quite fancy having a EQ mount this time that will allow for longer exposures than 20 - 25 seconds to do DSO imaging. Also seeing some of the images taken on this forum with this 130p DS have quite impressed me.

My question is will this be an worthwhile upgrade from my current setup, as the mount is different and also it would be within my budget after I hopefully sell my current GOTO scope. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The EQ3-2 Pro says 5Kg for imaging,

The 130PDS is 3.7Kg (3.66Kg is what SW state), so if you add say 1Kg for the DSLR and assorted bits = T-ring, Flatener, Coma Corrector all or some of, then you are very close to 5Kg.

The EQ3-2 is not known for it's stability, is really the main concern.

It would be £650 for the EQ5 model and the 130PDS as seperate items, £500 + £150.

Would no one put together the EQ5Pro and the 130PDS and meet at £600 ?

The iOptron mounts start at the SmartEQ and it holds 5Kg also but costs £450, also having seem one it appears lightweight also.

Unfortunately they seem to still supply a scope on a mount that is just OK for visual, that makes most mounts in a package not that well suited to imaging with the scope.

Sure there is or was a retailer where you could pick the "standard" package like 130PDS and EQ3-2Pro but they had a set of buttons for an "upgrade" to something like the 130PDS and (say) EQ5Pro.

If in no rush keep an eye on ABSUK.

Archived