NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canis Majoris

CedrikG

Hi folks !

Quick question. Canis majoris in Stellarium is said to be 1120 light years away. On Wikipedia it says 3900 light years. I mean .. thats a few kilometers of difference. Which one is more accurate in your opinion ?

Thanks guys

One will be lightyears the other will be parsec's.

1 lightyear = 0.3066 parsec approx.

So 3900 Ly = 1195 Pc

There will be a spread of distance values as every so often someone comes up with a "better" measurement of distance and it take a while for any update to filter through if it does filter through.

SkySafari shows Sirius as 2.63 parsecs (pc) or 8.58 light years which is the closest in the constellation but all the others are much further away, and at varying distances

bdf21248b96b1f5b27caa48bd2110d48.jpg

I mean the Canis Majoris star, the red giant. In my stellarium program it says 1120 light years, not parsecs. Then I went on Wiki to know more about the star, and it really says 3.900 light years.  I made sure at first I was not mistaking with Kiloparsecs and LY.

Hi

It looks like you've got the wrong star selected in Stellarium, it should be HIP 35793, not 33856.

There may still be some variation but see what it says for that

Archived