Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Eclipse in Melbourne/AUS

hjw

Hi,

I usually do not participate in the observation forums because I am more into imaging. However, we had perfect conditions for the lunar eclipse last night. I tried to take some images with mediocre success and then decided to put the eyepiece in. What I saw, no picture can do justice. During the full eclipse, the red moon stood out in three dimensions with a color gradient on a field of stars. It was 11 at night and the kids joined me. Even though I can't get them much interested in astronomy (teenagers!) I got a few "Wows". And because the moon was dark the milky way stood out like a bright ribbon with Carina right above. Only one word can describe it: Magic!

While I am not a convert yet (from imaging, especially for DSOs) I had a great time just watching!

Cheers

HJ

I'm glad you mentioned that, because we were having a bbq last night (as you do in Oz) and it was a full moon. Later I looked up and it was a tiny crescent which I thought was weird, but unfortunately I'd had a bit too much wine to think about it doh! It was beautiful though.

Archived