NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 problem

My HEQ5 mount works fine when slewing at 2x and 8x but when i try to slew at 16x the green light goes red and there's a click from motor but it won't slew at all!! I normally use a 17 Ah power tank with it and have also tried a fully charged 40 Ah battery but still nothing at 16x, could this be just a power problem or maybe a fault in handset.

Phill

The HEQ5 handset is fairly basic so iI suspect as KK has said that this is a power problem caused by the extra current draw at higher slew speed. The hnadset essentially is just a switch box so a quick diagnosis procedure would be as follows:-

1. does the fault occur in BOTH directions? If it does then the problem is power related.

2. if the problem is only in ONE direction, switch the hemisphere switch on the side to the opposite hemisphere. Has the problem changed to the other direction? If it has then the problem is a 'high resistance' switch in the handset. If it hasn't switched the problem to the other direction then you have a 'mechanical fault' inside the mount (this is unlikely)

Hope that helps.

I've just checked the mount again and it will slew at 8x with the hemisphere switch at both north and south settings and the RA and DEC switched to reverse but still won't slew at 16x in any configuration so i guess its the power lead. Which leads to my next question as to where i can get a better power cable?

Thanks

Phill

My replacement power cable arrived this morning, unfortunately i still have the same problem, :( so it looks as if its either the switch that controls the slew speed being faulty or there is a fault somewhere on the board. does anyone know where i can get a replacement handset or possible get my existing one repaired?

Phill

Archived