Qhy5-ii and Binning

wuthton

Does anybody know if it is possible to bin 2x2 with a QHY5-II and if so how? I have PHD2 and AA5 available for guiding.

Many thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction.

Hi,

As that camera has a CMOS chip you can't do hardware binning with it, but I think there is an option to use software binning, which is not anywhere near as good, but may work for you.

You can only do proper hardware binning with CCD sensors.

The QHY site will probably tell you whether your camera has the software option in the driver or not.

And even if it has the software option it may nor work in PHD.

Hope that helps a little

Regards

AB

I haven't looked in a while, but there was a bin 2x2 option in the ascom driver last year - it didn't work in PHD2 mid last year, but might be worth a try with later drivers and guide software. It wasn't an issue at the time as the camera was plenty sensitive with my 70mm guide scope.

Thank you for the replies but it's looking like only the QHY5L-II can be binned the QHY5-II cannot.

Yes after I replied to your post I thought that might be the case, I had the ASI120 which has the same chip as the QHY5LII and that had a software bin option.

Regards

AB

Yes after I replied to your post I thought that might be the case, I had the ASI120 which has the same chip as the QHY5LII and that had a software bin option.

Regards

AB

I wish manufacturers wouldn't give completely cameras such similar names, it leads to a lot of confusion. Especially when the L version has the smaller sensor.

Archived