NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB 3 Compatability - NEQ6 EQMOD/QHY 5-II

Hoping someone will be able to guide me a little bit on this as I struggling to find the answer, I have an NEQ6 mount with the EQMOD and the QHY 5-II guide camera as well as a canon 1100D DSLR camera of which so far I haven't had all connected to a laptop just the NEQ6.

Basically current laptop is starting to get a bit long in the tooth and I am going to try and rescue the laptop and restoring to factory, but I think it is starting to show it's age so looking at replacing and a lot of laptops now come with USB3 and I know that I have had issues with some stuff not working in the past. I am hoping that someone can tell me from experience that connecting the 3 devices up to a laptop by USB3 will work no problem at all, but I don't have any way of verifying and given laptops are starting so cheap now it makes more sense to get a new laptop with prices than look at anything else

Thanks and hope someone can give me the answer I am hoping for lol

I don't use eqmod, but two mates who do are finding the eqmod-qhy5ii combo is a pain and lacks stability despite trying various guiding software, leads, usb2/3, hubs, no hubs...

But others have it all working fine.

I assume that is controlling each via the laptop rather than connecting the camera to the mount directly? Not sure if this latter option would be any easier in that respect

Any idea if operating system makes a difference, as I have an MSDN account so can get any OS i need from there

Wait until it is 3am, pitch dark, your feet are freezing, a badger has just scratched its ars& against your perfectly polar aligned mount, and then you hear that joyous noise of a USB device being unplugged...

Don't rest on your laurels until you've got it working in 'the field'.

I really do hope it does work as per private messages, as I think my new laptop on order has mostly USB3 ports...

James

Fortunately for me I have a conservatory and some long usb cables so plan is to sit in there with the scope out back, but yeah putting into action will be the real test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to do that conservatory-usb cables combo, but got fed up with the conservatory looking like an astronomy junk yard during the day. I now sit in the shed :)

Again, dry run the kit with the long usb leads during day light to make sure the long leads don't cause any problems.

James

Archived