NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

After more than 2 year searching I simply can´t decide! Help!

Hello SG´s!

My budget is 2500€ max, insane top 3000€. I plan to buy gear (it´s decided, new stuff) to use my unmodded EOS 700D to start in AF, I´m ready for a deep and long learning curve so no need to rush for a dedicated CCD.
But I want to be able to "drive" 2-3 more DSLR´s on the mount from friend/guests. The combo AVX C6 is driving me crazy as I want also to do visual, some binos would be very nice (TS ones look ok for me), if only to see moon, jupiter and saturn, more than enough :) nature targets are very welcome.

So to resume I am stucked to this:

- AZ-EQ6, my "natural" choice but budget killer. Don´t know why but the famous NEQ6 implies tunning and kilos (though I´m a quite fit man), and some years old tech. The sturdier tripod and belt gears really seems the way to go.
- AVX, seems a really nice performer mount, and good good looking one.
- Really small Apo (TS 70Q?), but DSLR lenses will be used also.
- Altair Sabre? (if the AVX is the option and for a more portable gear, an easy grab and go one), can use my old newt SW 200/1000 (blue line) but need to improve the old R&P focuser, don´t want to drill, any of you know of a suitable one?
- Autoguider camera, yesterday I "found" the all in one camera from Orion and it impressed me! What do you think?
- Defork my old ETX 70AT, a really good idea in a dual mount rig, can be used for the guider and a crossair eyepiece. So some suitable clampshells are needed.

- Baader Hyperion zoom 8-24mm

- Binos

Sorry for all those questions and possible options, but I can´t wait no more. All help and sugestions are very welcome.

Cheers,

Filipe

You really got a LOT going on here lol. So let me see if I can hit on everything you have mentioned....

Your DSLR will work just fine. Just make sure to get the right adaptors for it.

I'm not sure quite what you are aiming for with a multi scope rig. If you are just going to be using 2 DLSR and short wide field lenses  for imaging I think the AVX would do. As it would support a DSLR and a small (70-100mm) refractor for imaging as well. But if you are wanting to put 3 or more DSLR/lens on it I think you might want to jump up to the NEQ6. Especially if you are wanting a dual rig with actual scopes on it.

If you are looking into the small Newts there are several options that have the right focuser needed for imaging. i.e. the 130 PDS. The AVX might do the SW 200PDS but Newts love to catch wind and can be trouble for the mount if its windy.

By the "all in one autoguider" you mean the one that doesnt need to hook up to a laptop to guide I would say you better pass on it. I havent heard the greatest things about that one. Could you provide a link? Im not 100% sure we are talking about the same thing.

Your ETX70AT might work but thats a good litle scope to have setup next to your imaging scope to view from while you are imaging. If you are looking for cheap for guiding just go with a 9x50 finderguider. Thats what I use and get 15min subs with it.

In all though, to me, it sounds like you are wanting to get a imaging rig and improve your observing rig at the same time. This is a lot of money and if you try to do both on a tight budget I think you will end up hurting one or the other if not both. I would suggest aiming at focusing the vast majority of your budget to one or the other.

Ok that is absolutely NOT what i was thinking of lol. Soooo...i have no idea how that one holds up to the hype. I would look for reviews that are not from its producer. So you dont get a bias review. One thing I did notice was though that the little lense that comes with it is very small in aperture. Though you dont need a huge aperture to guide with that one seems a bit small to me along with the FL of it. If its too wide it could start becoming difficult to guide well as the star would not appear to move as much as need for the guiding software to detect. Me personally I would want at least a 9x50 finder scope as the minimum to use as a guide scope...just me though. 

+1 on the az-el eq6 , no on the AVX, especially for imaging.

One of the 80mm guide scopes and a QHY5L-II mono for guiding, or the Orion "pro" guider (rebraned QHY)

Big no on the etx for guiding, mirror movement, ouch.

If you keep the ETX, use it on the side for visual, what it's meant for.

Archived