Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Jupiter

Im after a large clear image of Jupiter.

Ive tried with my 8" newt and EQ5 pro - but the slightest breeze wobbles like hell meaning that the images dont stack very well and the resolution is poor.

Ive since tried with my 80mm triplet and a x3 barlow which is better but the 80mm resolution and detail is not great.

So my question is:

I know when it comes to planets and detail its all about focal length so do I :

- work with my 8" Newt - I think this is the limit on my EQ5 pro so may suffer breeze/wobble issues

- Buy a 8" Celestron SCT

- Buy a Sky Max 180 Mak

The bottom 2 being smaller and hopefully steadier on my EQ5 pro.

I'd suggest at minimum for planetary imaging an SCT of at least a C8 size which is 2030mm and a 3x barlow with your CCD but keep in mind a few things.One It will have dew/condensation/frost issues unless you also invest in a heater for the corrector plate and a dew shield. With a dew shield in place there are more issues with wind even with a shorter length scope but I find all my scopes have issues with wind. Not a lot you can do but wait it out and see if things calm down. The other issues because of the greater magnification with a better scope you must level,align and balance the mount even better than before and if your mount has any issues with guiding then they will be more obvious than ever. It's all part of the challenge yes? Love a challenge. Best of luck in your quest!

I'd suggest at minimum for planetary imaging an SCT of at least a C8 size which is 2030mm and a 3x barlow with your CCD but keep in mind a few things.One It will have dew/condensation/frost issues unless you also invest in a heater for the corrector plate and a dew shield. With a dew shield in place there are more issues with wind even with a shorter length scope but I find all my scopes have issues with wind. Not a lot you can do but wait it out and see if things calm down. The other issues because of the greater magnification with a better scope you must level,align and balance the mount even better than before and if your mount has any issues with guiding then they will be more obvious than ever. It's all part of the challenge yes? Love a challenge. Best of luck in your quest!

So the Mak 180 is a no no? Great post thank you!

Most welcome. I'm not going to say it's a no no but I purchased my C8 just from studying what others where using for planetary and the awesome picture examples. It's almost always an SCT used. That or a large Dob or Newt. 

Most welcome. I'm not going to say it's a no no but I purchased my C8 just from studying what others where using for planetary and the awesome picture examples. It's almost always an SCT used. That or a large Dob or Newt. 

What do you think to the following - stay clear?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestron-C8-SCT-Vintage-USA-Tube-Assembly-OTA-Telescope-stunning-Condition-/121551511625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4d08e049

Archived