NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie seeks advice/critique on first equipment purchases

Greetings, all...

When I say "newbie", this should be interpreted in the most literal fashion imaginable.....

I apologize in advance for the lengthy nature of this post……

My experience with "hands-on" Astronomy has so far in my life, consisted of enjoying beautiful AP images, and looking at (as opposed to through) the old telescope that has gathered dust in the same corner of my Father's Library for the last 40 years.

My experience with photography is that of using an old (in digital-technology years) Fujimi camera, cell-phone cameras, and the occasional use of the "point and click" Nikon I gave my wife for her last Birthday……

So you can see right away that I am eminently qualified to pursue this field of endeavor…..

That being said, I have spent the past months reading manufacturers information, claims, and reviews online, and looking at results of processed images taken using devices described in said reviews.

I understand that until I gain experience, mine will not look like these, but like a man buying a racecar, he himself may not be able to win the Indy 500 driving it, but he still wants to know it will go 200mph…….so to speak.

I would like to try not to “break the bank” on my starter equipment, yet not purchase equipment that would leave me needing (wanting) to upgrade after the first few months.

To this end, I would like to present my current thinking, based upon the information I have thus far chosen as main items on my current “to buy” list.

This list has evolved quite a bit over the past few months, and I suspect that after receiving information based upon experience, and educated opinions here, it may again drastically alter…..

I am trying to stay near a $2000(ish) budget, which I imagine means closer to $2,500 with ”accessory items” included….hopefully this is possible.

For comparative purposed, I am using best delivered prices found on the web as of today.

Mount:

Celestron Advanced VX

I am fairly confident in this choice of mount, as I am reasonably certain that based upon any of the telescopes and other devices which it must carry (of which I am considering purchase),  it will (1) will more than meet my payload requirements , (2) has all of the features I want, (3)reviews well, and (4 is reasonably priced.

$799/Delivered

Camera/Auto-Guider

Since both are needed, and I would like to someday “move up” to Monochrome imaging (for the additional detail available), I see no reason not buy a color and Monochrome version of one of the two described below.

Both have the functional capability of Auto-Guidance, as well as Imaging, so the secondary one (not being used for imaging) can be used for Auto-Guidance.

The price of either of these is not tremendously more than a dedicated auto-Guider, and gives flexibility.(Orion SS Auto-Guider best price/Delivered is$283)

Orion Star Shoot Deep Space Imaging Camera(s), Color and Monochrome

$411/each………$822/Delivered

ZWO ASI 120 Color and Monochrome cameras

$279/each………$558/Delivered

The ZWO uses cmos technology, and the orion, ccd.

I understand that recently there has been quite a bit of advancement in cmos technology, and this format does not have some of the drawbacks of cccd.

Educated/experienced pinions really appreciated here…!

Telescope:

I would like to take Planetary, as well as Deep Space photos…..

In considering price, items needed for adequate performance (within the capabilities of each given device) will be notated and added to total price consideration.

“Accessory” items common to all examples being considered (filters, adaptors, etc.) will not be in consideration, as each would need them.

Levenhuk Ra-200Nf4……………................................……….$509

*200mmx800FL

*f4

Coma Corrector…………………………………………………………………….$200

Celestron Advanced VX Mount…………………………………………….$799

Total: $1,508

This unit comes factory-equipped with a Crayford 2-Speed Focuser

Celestron Advanced VX 8” Newtonian………………………….$1099

* Includes Advanced VX Mount

* 200mmx1000FL

* f5

Coma Corrector…………………………………….$200

2 Speed Crayford-type Focuser……………$250        

Total: $1,549

I am aware that many Newtonian’s eyepiece relief is not suitable for AP.

Both of these Newtonian examples are specified by their manufacturers as intended for Astrophotography

Celestron Advanced VX 6” Refractor…………………...$1299

* Achromatic

* 150mmx1200FL

* f5

* Reducer/Flattener corrects f-speed to f6.4

* Includes Celestron Advanced VX Mount

Tele-Vue TRF-2008 Reducer/Flattener…………….....…..$250

Baader Semi AP Chromatic Aberration Filter…....……..$140

2 Speed Crayford-type Focuser………………………......……$250   

Total: $1939

Explore Scientific Bresser Messier AR-127S/635 Refractor…………...………...$499

* 127mmx635 FL      

* f5

* Reducer/Flattener corrects f-speed to f4

* Achromatic

Tele-Vue TRF-2008 Reducer/Flattener…………………………………..…………………………..$250

Baader Semi AP Chromatic Aberration Filter………………………………………………….…..$140

2 Speed Crayford-type Focuser…………………………………………………………………..………$250

Celestron Advanced VX Mount........................................................................................$799

Total: $1938

Sky-Watcher PRO 80 mm f/7.5 ED APO OTA Refractor…………….……......……...$649

*Apochromatic

127mmx600 FL      

* f7.5

* Reducer/Flattener corrects f-speed to f6

* Celestron Advanced VX Mount………………………………………………………….……….…….$799

Tele-Vue TRF-2008 Reducer/Flattener…………………………………..…………….......…………....$250

This is the only model in consideration that is A) Apochromatic , and (B) comes equipped with the 2-speed Crayford-style focuser.

Total: $1698

Portability is not a factor in consideration of any of these telescopes.

I would prefer a larger objective to allow for shorter duration exposures of deep space objects, but within the budget constraints in which I wish to remain the 80mm was the largest available for an Apochromatic lens.

Can  image quality equal to that of an Apochromatic be obtained with an Achromatic lens when utilizing the correct Achromatic aberration filter??

It is my understanding that dual-speed focus with fine adjustment is absolute necessity for AP…….????

The purpose of this posting is to hear opinions of these items based upon fellow member’s greater experience in this field (not necessarily limited to the exact items being presented)………………..Please do not hesitate to opine.

If you agree with another member’s expressed opinion, please point this out, as opposed to saying nothing “because it has already been  said”…..

I am using the number of replies of differing (and agreeing) opinions do develop a consensus of sorts…

Thank you to all whom reply in advance…!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have the explore scientific 80mm APO on a HEQ5 pro with auto guiding ( QHY5ii and st80 achromatic refractor piggy back). you will need a larger lens and a longer focal length so see major detail in planets, widefield imaging is where this scope shines, Its provides crisp clear images...The main objective is Hoya ED glass 

The Skywatcher 80ED is probably the most often recommended scope for an entry to astrophotography. You definitely need to reduce it though.

Avoid large, long focal length scopes when starting out as they are much more difficult to guide and make greater demands on the mount.

For AP larger generally doesn't mean better just a different field of view for the imaging chip.

You've clearly done some research as you're on the right lines but if I could suggest the book "Every Photon Counts" by Steve Richards. Once you've read two or three times then you'll know what equipment to buy and more importantly... Why.

You have done a wise thing that a lot of folk do not do. That is to research what you want and then to get that research critiqued by those with experience BEFORE you have parted with hard earned cash. I would echo comments above and that you purchase 'making every photon count', again as above.

What I would also say is find your nearest astro group and go and see what kit they have and what may suit you best.

Good luck with your choice, you have a fine budget to work with.

Archived