NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - 2nd attempt

Had my 2nd go at imaging Jupiter last night {my 3rd ever astro-photo session) - I also tired me new gear - some good and not so good points which Id like your opinion on:

I used my 8" newt with QHY5 II, Philips web cam and Canon 1200d dslr

The Good:

I used the x2 and x3 barlows with my usual set up the QHY5 to get good images - trouble is the 8" newt moves quite a lot even in a small breeze - ok for planet shots but not deep space clearly.

Ive ordered a 80mm refractor which Im hoping will cure this issue

The not so good:

DSLR no focus - after attaching the T ring and tube I slotted it into the scope eye socket - all seemed fine until I tried to focus the image using the scope rack and pinion. The focuser would not go in towards the telescope body enough to achieve focus - the rack and pinion can to a stop. I tried to adjust the T tube ie somehow shorten it but I could not - part of the T tube is 1.25 inch which slots into the scope but then half way along the T tube increases a little in thickness which stops it from sliding in any further - which I need it to to achieve focus - any ideas here?

Philips web cam - cannot adjust settings - I tried to use the Philips web cam with firecapture but the software would not adjust the camera setting re expo etc - I later tried sharpcap and this resolved it.

DSLR usb cable was not long enough to reach scope - Ill sort that one

So all in all not bad - just need to resolve the dslr focal issue - again my soon to arrive refractor may sort this.

I did grab some images in fit format which I cannot show so Ill use a different format next time.

Not one hundred percent sure as I don't own a Skywatcher telescope but pretty sure you don't need a "T" to 1.25" adaptor to attach to DSLR to the focuser, I thought you unscrewed the focuser 1.25" base adaptor from the focuser barrel to reveal a male "T" thread behind and then couple the camera "T" adaptor directly to that, saving several cm of back focus distance.

Nothing in the Skywatcher manual about that but did find one short video online showing it:

Not one hundred percent sure as I don't own a Skywatcher telescope but pretty sure you don't need a "T" to 1.25" adaptor to attach to DSLR to the focuser, I thought you unscrewed the focuser 1.25" base adaptor from the focuser barrel to reveal a male "T" thread behind and then couple the camera "T" adaptor directly to that, saving several cm of back focus distance.

Nothing in the Skywatcher manual about that but did find one short video online showing it:

Thanks a lot - Ill have a bash at that :)

Archived