Nexstar 8SE and DSOs...

I've got my new mount and camera (AZ-EQ6, modded Canon 1100D) but only have one scope at the moment which is more ideal for planetary viewing - the Nexstar 8SE.  Ideally, I'd like to try and get some shots of DSOs... although limited, which sites do you guys recommend I attempt?  Would m42 be a good target? or the andrometer galaxy? Or would neither be suitable??

Thanks guys, clear skys.

A lot of times i use Stellarium to compose before i image. In settings you can put in the size of the sensor of your specific camera and the focal length and aperture of all your scopes. You can then go to the DSO of choice in the program and it will put a red rectangle around the objects showing you whats covered. You then will see how much the sensor will cover and can rotate and compose before you actually image that night.

Archived