Starting out

Hi everyone. I'm blown away by the helpfullness of this forum, and the incredible images i've seen by some of the members. So hopefully one day i'll be competent enough to start making similar images.

As a complete novice, i've been doing a lot of reading on which equipment is best for which type of astrophotography I would like to get into. I have a photography background, and the challenging aspect of AP and the astounding nature of the universe has got me hooked. Pictures of planets don't interest me too much, but nebula, star clusters, galaxies, all seem to draw me in. This is the road I want to travel down.

Finding reviews for equipment isn't an easy task, so i'm hoping I could get some advice from this community.

I've eventually settled on a mount and telescope to start off with. Imaging can come a little later, and for now i'm happy to just gaze. But If I can do both with the current setup, then great.

The following scope is on top of my list, as it seems to include the EQ5 mount, and is a refractor, which I hear is best for AP.

Its a

Sky-Watcher 150mm x 750mm Refractor SK15075HEQ5 Black Diamond

Are these any good for my purpose?

Hi Happy Kat, yes I already have a Nikon D800 for the imaging side of things, but I was under the impression the mount was already motorised And would be able to cope with the weight of the camera. I think camera in its own is about 1.2kgs. Isn't the mount for imaging supposed to be able to handle more weight than one for viewing?

Not everyone agrees that a frac is best for AP, but not a big deal, many good photos taken with them. You should be just fine as you planned in OP. Just figure on adding guiding at some early next stage.

I'm inclined to agree, but I don't know much about the field. I do know that I especially like the diffraction spikes on the stars from a newtonian, but not sure theyre as easy to mount an slr to.

Yes I just bought one,and mounted my Nikon. You should check with the dealer and be sure that you get a model with sufficient back focus for the DSLR.  THe PDS models of Skywatcher do, as did my f/5 GSO. Mine was marginal, so I had to shorten it a little as I added an OAG, but check that out with the dealer.

Archived