Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MEADE LX200 Mirror Lock

This may sound a stupid question but can anyone advise how the Meade LX200 mirror locks actually functions?

I understand the mechanism of the focus knob itself but the reason for asking is that I inadvertently went to change focus without unlocking the mirror first, and yet the focus DID seem to change. This makes me wonder if something is worn regarding the locking feature but I’m not sure how it’s supposed to operate?

Any advice please?

The locking is essentially collet. Think of a drill chuck and you've got the right sort of image. The lock knob turns a small gear that drives the chuck (an 8" gear) that tightens around the centre of the primary mirror sled (the drill bit).

There's a good description of the lock and how to adjust/reset it on the Peterson website.

Having read that, I suppose the question is; are you hitting the stop when tightening?

Russell

Archived