NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Starquest portability and alignment

I am a newbie here and a beginner for stargazing. Can any one please recommend which one would be the best in terms of portability and planet+deep sky viewing at the same time in this Orion series. I live in the city center and have to drive away from the light pollution to see anything. Orion XT6 looks good but a bit worried about not being able to carry it in my car boot and also having to do the alignments every time I travel with it. I would like to have a good scope under £300 which Is quick and easy to set up and also could be carried in a car. Thanks in advance :)

Hello SBN, welcome to this forum. I have a 150mm Orion Skyquest which is used for outreach purposes so gets plenty of rough handling. To date it rarely needs collimating and you should never be put off buying an excellent affordable telescope such as a Newtonian on the grounds of collimation. Once you've done it a couple of times it becomes second nature and you end up being obsessive about it.   :smiley: 

Thanks Peter. Very helpful! These ones do look sturdy and easy to handle. Although I have heard good things about refractors, they don't look as good, unless I go for more expensive ones. It gets so confusing when there are too many to choose from.

Archived