NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 414ex OSC, thoughts on quick M42 shot.

Chris

A buddy sent me a quick snap taken with his new Atik 414ex Colour CCD.

These cameras are new on the scene and are billed as being Atik's most sensitive camera. With this in mind I've asked permission to post the pic to give an idea of signal to noise.

This is a single 60 second sub, taken with an Altair 115mm Triplet refractor with .79 reducer (F/5.5).

Edit: image is a jpeg, and he's aware its a touch out of focus.

post-16129-0-13938000-1424803427.jpg

Besides the core being blown out already in a 60sec sub I think it looks good. Is this processed at all?

Also its a bit hard to judge S/N with only a single 60sec sub. Most cameras, even dslr, have good S/N with short subs. Especially when you get into the good quality cooled CCD.  Try having your friend do as long of an exposure as he can. At least 5 min.

Besides the core being blown out already in a 60sec sub I think it looks good. Is this processed at all?

Also its a bit hard to judge S/N with only a single 60sec sub. Most cameras, even dslr, have good S/N with short subs. Especially when you get into the good quality cooled CCD.  Try having your friend do as long of an exposure as he can. At least 5 min.

I'll have to re-ask if there's any processing done, I was wondering myself.

Yes 60 seconds is a bit short, so maybe it just gives an idea of signal with these new cameras :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics, but my buddy is awaiting a replacement due to an issue effecting a small number of these cameras.

hopefully it wont be long until others start posting pics with the 414ex. 

Archived