NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Autoguide Nexstar 8SE w/ PHD2

rpg850

PHD2 seems to be what everyone is using, so I downloaded the Windows version. I also have downloaded the latest version of the ASCOM platform and the Celestron driver.

PHD2 finds my camera just fine, but it won't connect to the Nexstar mount. I'm connecting the mount to the laptop through the RS-232 port on the bottom of the hand controller. My RS-232 cable runs from the hand controller to a Serial/USB adapter before plugging into my laptop. This connection works great with the virtual nexstar remote on my laptop. 

But, when I try to connect to my mount, I get an error message saying that the mount doesn't support PulseGuide interface. So there's my current dilemma.

The "NexStar Resource" site claims that PHD (not PHD2?) is supposed to work with the NexStar mount via either the RS-232 port on the bottom of the hand controller, OR the autoguide port on the mount. So here are my questions...

Is there a way to make PHD2 work with the NexStar mount via the RS-232 port?

Do I have to connect using the AutoGuide port?

Do I need a Shoestring box?

Will PHD2 even work with the NexStar mount?

Do I need to use the original PHD, or another guiding software?

• 4 months later...

I could never get PHD to work with the RS-232 remote control port connection. The Shoestring GPUSB box works but you will discover very quickly that if you're attempting to do DSO imaging the field rotation will be present very quickly in a alt-az mount, so your subs will be limited. De-rotating short subs is easy enough in software tho.

• 2 years later...

Archived