Advise on a good "cheap" refractor

I've been contemplating getting a small refractor for some wide field sky photography and I'm curious if any of you have an opinion on the Meade ETX refractors.  I see them come up on the used market fairly inexpensively from time to time and I'm thinking of picking one up and remounting it on a dovetail for use on an EQ mount (or a nexstar mount with wedge, which I'm in the process of researching).  I've read these scopes have pretty good optics for what they are but the mounts leave a lot to be desired.  So, my question is, how easy/difficult would it be to remount one of these, and do you think they would be good for some fairly wide field sky photos?  I'm not looking to buy an expensive refractor at the moment as I'm just wetting my feet in astrophotography.

Alternately, if these are a pain to remount, is there another good fairly cheap refractor I should look at?

As an aside, I currently have a Nexstar 6SE which I am either going to get a wedge for or get an EQ mount, I haven't decided which route to go yet.

Thanks!

The ETX refractors are the ETX-60,70,80.

Not as bad as many seem to say, but do not expect great things. Magnification is sort of limited to the aperture in a 1-to-1 ratio.

All the ETX's have the option to have the data set so they are on an EQ mount, just one of the configuration options. Tell it that it is EQ mount and put it on a wedge, easier get a Meade mount that can be adjusted in angle. Lot less cost.

Not really a good idea to stick a DSLR on the rear, they really never expected that someone would put half a kilo or more of camera on the rear. Also the fork itself is likely to get in the way. They came out some 15 years ago and at the time I do not think a DSLR was around, if it was it cost you a few months money and was professional only.

Also you cannot rebalance them unless removed.

Being f/5 you will get some CA, but I will say not seen much to bother me.

Thanks ronin,

Do the ETXs take any wedge or do I need a special adapter?  I was thinking if I could add a dovetail then I could just use the nexstar mount, or whatever mount I replace it with and I wouldn't have to worry about the camera not fitting between the fork mounts, or it not being strong enough to slew the scope with the camera attached.  The mount seems to be the weak point, which is why I was wondering how easy or difficult it would be to remount one.  Rings and a dovetail should do it I think, I'm just curious if there is enough room on the tube to fit the rings since there is a fair bit of plastic on the back, and it looks like I may need two different size rings?  Not sure, as I've never fitted rings to a tube before. 

The Equinox 80 comes with a dovetail attached and is an ED at F6, and will cost £515 ish. Or, there's the Opticstar 80 gold ED which comes with 50mm finder, CNC tube rings and dovetail for around £450 ish. Both use FPL53 fluorite glass and both are great imaging as well as visual refractors. I don't know how much the Meade costs but it may be worth going that extra mile and go for one of these 80mm F6 EDs.

Mike

Unless you are bent on going for a Meade, I would also suggest an ED 80mm refractor, in any of the top makes, they can often be had at quite reasonable prices on Astro/BuySell, in fact there is a Celestron 80ED OTA for sale at the moment at a very reasonable price :)  

Thanks for the advice.  Are you referring to the buy/sell section here on SGL?  I believe I have to wait about a month to access that, correct?  At least, that's what I read somewhere.  I'm not bent on a Meade, I just noticed that the ETXs seem to be readily available for pretty low prices sometimes so I was curious about them.  I'm keeping my options open to anything really. 

I don't think fluorite and such qualify as "cheap" refractors. Neither would ED scopes. May I suggest something like these? -

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Refractor-Telescopes/pc/1/10.uts

Or perhaps:

http://www.optcorp.com/telescopes/refractor-telescopes.html

OPT is a great store. Their staff are very knowledgeable on astronomy, and they will gladly answer your questions.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived