Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Predawn binocular bash

Walshie79

After a week of cloud I noticed stars when I went to let the dog out at 6.45, so just had to grab the binoculars before it got too light. A lovely spring sky showed itself, Arcturus, Virgo and Libra well placed and Antares low in the SE.

M3 and M5 were found easily, prominent despite the imminent dawn, and with Ursa Major overhead I was surpried that M51 was also still visible in a less than dark sky. Then a quck look at the now low Jupiter.

Over to the rising Summer Triangle, and if M51 being visible in the brightening sky was surprising then M57 was incredible, but there it was. Also found M29 and M39, both standing up well to the gathering dawn.

Now it's well known that Arcturus is visible every night at some point from the UK, and there is a time in autumn when it appears at both ends of the night. Having observed at both ends this month I'm convinced the same is true of Altair as well. Twice this month I've seen it before dawn now, and it still there after sunset. 2 stars circumpolar and this,not really a Summer triangle!

Archived