Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Decisions, decisions. Which scope to keep?

Having just bought a 2nd hand Celestron 80GTL, on telling a friend about it he said “Should have let me know, I’ve got a scope I’m selling”

Well, the scope he was selling was a Helios 120mm F1000 Refractor on an EQ3-2 mount, (he thinks it might be an EQ5, how do I tell?).

Anyway, there is no way I can keep both scopes, so one has to go, but which one?

The 80GTL is, of course, GOTO and is also very light and easily moved around etc.

The Helios is totally manual, with no motor drives, but is 120mm!

I know I can buy the drive for just over the £100 mark, but I’d probably wait until I could afford the Synscan goto. (Are there any others that fit these mounts?).

So which to keep, and why please?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Yip, I would keep both if at all possible, I had a 80mm f5 which I sold and now regret, it would sit very well with my present line up.

if you have to part with one, then spend some time with both and you will son know which one to keep.

naz

Archived