NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which eyepieces should I get?

TedCameron123

Hello everyone!

I'm planning on ordering some eyepieces this weekend but wasn't sure which ones to get. Generally, I would like to be able to see Jupiter and Saturn as well as possible. I'd also like to see some more deep-space objects like the Andromeda Galaxy and what not.  

The telescope I'm using is a Celestron 114LCM: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/114lcm-computerized-telescope

I currently have a 25mm and 9mm and am planning on ordering two new eyepieces, a 2x barlow, and some filters. 

Out of these, which two would you recommend?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html

In case you can't view the link:

2.3 mm
5 mm
7 mm
9 mm
12 mm
18 mm
25 mm

(Celestron X-Cel LX series eyepieces)

Thanks!!

~Ted

Hi Ted, the 7mm and the 25mm would be best for your two main choices of target, the planets and DSO's, a very wide range for direct viewing.  However, I like the middle ranges, the 18mm and the 12mm and these can be Barlowed to 9mm and 6mm giving you more satisfying choices

Get a tape and measure the tube length.

If it is about 500mm then I suggest against the 2x barlow.

If the tube is about 500mm then it is a Bird-Jones design and already has a barlow lens in the focuser. Adding a further barlow and eyepiece is not going to create a reasonable image when you look through it all.

If the tube is about 800-1000mm then no built in barlow and perhaps the 7mm, 9mm, 18mm and 25mm. I tend to think 4 is the minimum requirements. 2 for high and highish magnification, 1 medium, 1 wide.

P.S. Not a fan of barlows and suggest just the moon filter for now.

Which bit of Canada ?

Get a tape and measure the tube length.

If it is about 500mm then I suggest against the 2x barlow.

If the tube is about 500mm then it is a Bird-Jones design and already has a barlow lens in the focuser. Adding a further barlow and eyepiece is not going to create a reasonable image when you look through it all.

If the tube is about 800-1000mm then no built in barlow and perhaps the 7mm, 9mm, 18mm and 25mm. I tend to think 4 is the minimum requirements. 2 for high and highish magnification, 1 medium, 1 wide.

P.S. Not a fan of barlows and suggest just the moon filter for now.

Which bit of Canada ?

Montreal, Quebec!

And thanks for all the info!!

Archived