Complete newbie question..

I have a 2x barlow attached to my telescope.For DSO's I'm finding that I need more magnification for DSLR imaging?.Do I need an 'extension tube type thingy? To be able to drop in an eyepiece for greater magnification? What is is called?

Sorry for the total noob question....but I am a .....'noob'.

Thanks in advance. Any links or pics etc would be really helpful.

Very first attempt at Jupiter, just a single exposure(couldn't get tracking set correctly last night for stacking)

post-41233-0-37741200-1421015723_thumb.j

You probably need less magnification for DSO's not more, they will get fainter with increased magnification.

If you wanted thing to be bigger then get a 3x barlow.

An extension tube just moves the DSLR back.

The Jupiter looks like it could be well out of focus, you do not give details of the setup.

Planetary imaging is generally done with a webcam not DSLR.

You do not take a picture you take a video.

Welcome to the slightly strange world of imaging.

Ok thanks for the advice. Just getting interested in AP so just playing with what I have at the moment. Don't want to spend a load of money on a hobby Which may not last, but at the moment I'm really getting into it. 

Equipment -

Nikon D3200 ( I now understand Canon's are generally the norm for AP)

My son's old 114mm x 900mm Helios Refractor on EQ-2 mount with clock drive.

Intervalometer

Celestron T-adapter with barlow lens.

Kind regards

Ok thanks for the advice. Just getting interested in AP so just playing with what I have at the moment. Don't want to spend a load of money on a hobby Which may not last, but at the moment I'm really getting into it. 

Equipment -

Nikon D3200 ( I now understand Canon's are generally the norm for AP)

My son's old 114mm x 900mm Helios Refractor on EQ-2 mount with clock drive.

Intervalometer

Celestron T-adapter with barlow lens.

Kind regards

Sorry ,that should have been Reflector.

Thats a good first go. To be honest you can start doing Eyepiece projection (IE taking a picture with a phone, or point and shoot camera held to the Eyepiece...also known as Afocal). I also found with a point and shoot I could use the zoom function (though having a bracket to bolt the camera to the EP barrel helps). if you are attaching the DSLR straight to the scope (using it as a lens), then that is Prime focus, and you are limited by the size of scope, and cannot use a barlow to help increase the effective focal length.

Archived