baader neodymium or skys the limit moon and skyglow premium tranmission filter

alro

Hi Ya Al, nice to see your getting on with the Meade - nice scope bet the views are great - I have the Neo filter from Baader, works very well also good for the planets - cuts down a lot of glare - you could also look at a variable polarising filter - I tend to use the polarising filter a little more - its 2 filters in 1 that screw together, you then rotate the 1 filter and it cuts down the amount of light passing through - the good thing is that its variable from I think about 4 - 70% (only off the top of my head you may need to have a search on the net) gives a more natural look, great on Jupiter cutting out the glare and on the Moon - works well.

A tip you can use is that if you get the polarising filter you can screw 1 into the star diagonal (where it fits into the back of the scope) and the other filter into the bottom of the EP, then all you have to do is rotate the EP to vary the amount of light passing through your set up - so just centre your target and rotate to suit.

Paul.

Nice 1 Al, nice to see your getting on with the Meade - I loved mine had it for about 5 years and never missed a beat - the filters are a little individual - you don't really know how your going to get on with them until you try them - the colour filters for planetary are a little bit hit and miss for me - I have a load of them and I seem to just stick with the Variable Polariser for most of the time - it really does help with the glare and the "dulling" down of a very bright planet - especially the Moon past maybe first quarter, but again with the Baader you can use it for DSO's as well - then there are the wide/narrow band UHC/UHC's/O III which really help with the contrast on the fainter objects - with the O III very "contrasty" but very dark so you win with contrast but loose on overall field brightness - as said - its like a good Bovril - you either hate em or love em !!

Paul.

Thanks, seems a lot of trial and error!

i have also been looking at explore scientific filters. I live in a relatively dark skies area, but have heard, read been advised uhc nebula filters or cls may come in handy.

I used meade #80 filter off a friend last week and was really impressed with what i saw, so dont know whether to stick to meade brand or try STL filters, so much choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Baader offering but don't see any reason why STL's would be any different view wise. It may not be up to the same build quality of the Baader which also employ protective coatings to reduce risk of damage to the coatings. The best thing to do is try to find the data sheets for both filters and compare them to each other that way.

Archived