Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally started white light observing the Sun

bob1957

After what has been months trying to use my 2" Lunt Herschel wedge for observing the Sun with my Celestron 102mm wide field refractor, I was finally able to get some wonderful views this morning. The problem, apart from the lack of Sun due to weather, was trying to use 1.25" EP's on a refractor that had very little back focus when using a 2" wedge. The solution was using a 28mm 2" Skywatcher long eye relief EP and the Sun snapped into view. Obviously use a 2" EP with a 2" wedge. I didn't have to rack the focuser out much, probably 10-15mm, but it was enough.

I had the scope on an AZ3 mount and the Skywatcher EP gave a nice size image from which I could observe the full diameter of the Sun and good views of the sunspot grouping in the centre and smaller ones at the edge. The sky was amazingly clear blue until early afternoon and because it was cold (there was still frost on the ground) the air was very still.

Now I've got everything working as it should, I can now look forward to start learning how to view the Sun, providing the weather obliges.

I also want to start imaging as well, but that's going to need an injection of cash, as the R&P focuser on the scope isn't brilliant and will certainly have difficulty with a DSLR camera.

Bob

Archived