Basic polar alignment in Australia

I haven't learnt how to polar align properly in Australia using the Southern Cross yet.

I figured if I put my latitude on my EQ5 mount to 31 (perth) and face my mount south it'll be some what close.

I did try this the other night and seemed to work ok using 3 star align.

I'm just wondering if I should be pointing my mount to south or true south?

You need to point to true South not magnetic South. Slightly more tricky for you than us in the North due to the lack of a decent target above the pole. Principle is the same though and I suggest you drift align for added accuracy.

The south polar region is devoid of a bright star but ancient mariners did find a convenient way to roughly locate the south celestial pole.

First they located Crux - the Southern Cross and found that below it was Musca - the Southern Fly.

From here, they estimated the centre of Crux and then the centre of Musca (see diagram) and saw that the separation between these two points was about 10º - the width of an adult's fist.

With this width measured between their knuckles and finger tips, they then counted twice that distance (about two fists) from the centre of Musca and more or less had a rough idea of the south celestial pole.

Obviously, folk in the northern hemisphere have it a little easier, but with practice you should be fine :grin:

post-21324-0-99623700-1420147450_thumb.j

post-21324-0-07597600-1420147423.jpg

Archived