Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not your usual porros...

Andrew*

Just got this in the post today. A pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 8x24 binoculars, bearing the name "Turita". I purchased them on a whim after seeing them on AB&S. I did some quick research, which didn't bring up a great deal. I presume there are not many of these around. This is just what drew them to me. Old and rare - legendary and mysterious.

What I know is that they were produced between '28 and '43 and use a Moeller prism. I don't even know what a Moeller prism is!

I'm really seriously pleased with them - something unusual to add to my kit list :D.

Optically very impressive:Close focus at just 2.7m, which shows 31cm, which actually suggests 8.7x magnification. Really sharp right to the edge (55 degree apparent field :afro:), and with just a touch of CA, which is only there if you look for it under harsh tests. The only problem I have so far is the view lacks in contrast and gives a yellow cast. I imagine this is down to deterioration of the optics over age, coupled with lack of modern coating technology.

And you can decide for yourself about its aesthetic value:

for some reason the case holds the binos flat. You can't use them flat as the eyepieces would be too far apart for anyone's face, and they use up more space like this. Perhaps so it sits better on the hips...

4540_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

to give an idea of size during use - nice and compact (forgive the eczema :oops:)

4541_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

As you can see, it's quite crudely manufactured, but how much is down to age?

4542_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

side on view:

4544_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

and from the front

4545_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

so what do you think? I plan to keep them for some time, and let their value accumulate... possibly?

Andrew

• 1 month later...

thanks Ron; that one is clearly in much better condition than mine. I showed the binos to a chap in a camera shop in Germany, and he reckoned they didn't have any real value. However, I saw them on an online shop for €180 in one shop and €280 in another. Can't find the link now...

You were lucky to get one of those - designed for racegoers I believe.

Thanks Hugh - I can see why. I initially thought they were for military for some reason...

Andrew

Definitely not military, Andrew. More likely to have been used at events like the Berlin Olympics, I think. They were fashionable and expensive. I've found some old British price lists: in 1937 a Turita cost more than £20 here while the standard Zeiss 6X24s were about £12 and the British-made equivalents about £10, so definitely a fashion item - Hugh

Archived