Who owns an LX90?

I really like the LX90 10".. I will be buying new and would like to know if anyone has had any problems with theirs.. How do you like it? Mount, optics etc..I have seen all the internet pictures..I would like it if someone could post some pics of theirs to get a better idea of the size..Thanks

Hi

I own an 8" LX90, and love it

It is a few years old now, but I have updated it with new handset, GPS and electric focuser

It is a superb planetary scope, but not so obvious is that you can get fantastic results from it on a wedge doing deep,sky stuff too.

I have had guided 15 minute subs with lovely round stars, the secret when doing this is to get a weight balance kit and perfectly balance the kit, then it will autoguide with a small piggybacked refractor beautifully.

Hope that helps

:)

SS

I have a 12" LX90ACF. Optically - these are fantastic scopes! However.....

Meade has a proven track-record for not applying a few simple fixes to their mechanical-engineering. Notably the right-side declination-arm of the mount is weak and easily stripped if too much torque is applied to hold the telescope stationary. Meade has known this for well over a decade, and done nothing. And the focusing-knob feels like your turning a bag of sand & pebbles - also an ongoing oversight. And there is more (Celestron's have their bugs, too). But fear not - there are easy fixes to these problems:

http://www.petersonengineering.com/sky/

So be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get a bit greasy. Other than these bugs to wrangle, these scopes and their mounts work beautifuly! And I am certain you will love yours. You can also check out the LX90 group in Yahoo. The top people in these scopes, who have published many manuals and articles in the astro-press, are members and frequent visitors and often answer people's question. Here's a link:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lx90/conversations/messages

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

iv got one but the 8" model, but it was a very very early scope (actually made in america before they went to mexico) and only this weekend did i manage to get the electrics working again (again one of meades many fantastic parts of mechanical enginearing.... having the cables loose on their clips) but for months i have managed to use it manually and on the moon and plants it was a fantastic scope :) 

iv got one but the 8" model, but it was a very very early scope (actually made in america before they went to mexico) and only this weekend did i manage to get the electrics working again (again one of meades many fantastic parts of mechanical enginearing.... having the cables loose on their clips) but for months i have managed to use it manually and on the moon and plants it was a fantastic scope :)

Hi,

I had problems with my cable connections, infact it got that bad with th power cable coming loose while spewing and loosing connection all together and having to start all over again, that impaired a permenant wire into the base, to the 12v input, with a cigar plug on the end, so now no chance of loose connection, the jack socket on the side is no longer used.

I used the wires that wen to the battery holders, wired them in series, as I would never use it on batteries.

Mine is the old version 8" LX90 also, around 14 years old I think.

Regards

:) :)

SS

Hi,

I had problems with my cable connections, infact it got that bad with th power cable coming loose while spewing and loosing connection all together and having to start all over again, that impaired a permenant wire into the base, to the 12v input, with a cigar plug on the end, so now no chance of loose connection, the jack socket on the side is no longer used.

I used the wires that wen to the battery holders, wired them in series, as I would never use it on batteries.

Mine is the old version 8" LX90 also, around 14 years old I think.

Regards

SS

Damn auto correct, should say slewing not spewing..........

SS

Archived