Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New "Kood" Ball & Socket Tripod Head.

philsail1

I received the "Kood" Pro Ball & Socket Tripod Head BH-28Q. on Friday (I only ordered it on Thursday afternoon!) from "Dovecourt" Photography of Harwich. (Dave Williams).

It came with a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter, so it fitted straight onto my Velbon D7000 tripod. (I had taken the Velbon fluid filled head off as it would'nt hold my 90mm Maksutov at any angle beyond about 45Degrees).

I have tried this new head out today, and I must say that I am more than pleased with it! It works 100%. Holds the 90mm Mak as steady as a rock at whatever angle I put the scope at. It's also very easy to move the scope to another position too, as there are two very good adjusting knobs which you only have to tighten finger tight - without any strain. There are three knurled controlling knobs/wheels in all. One to adjust the smoothness of panning the head through 360 degrees, one to adjust the tension on the actual ball - too allow smooth tilting, and the large knurled wheel to lock the angle. All controls can be easily worked with gloved hands. There is no side to side sloppiness or "fall over" with the ball. The Ball is very large.

You can control your scope quite easily with the ball and socket set up, but Because my 90mm Mak did not have anywhere to grip when adjusting the angle, I made a simple pair of handles out of a piece of bar, and a bit of plastic tube. This set up makes controlling the scope much, much easier.

All in all, the Kood ball & socket has been a great buy (£52.78 including P+P).

Dave Williams of Dovecourt Photography was very good in offering to refund my money if it wasn't suitable - but he did tell me that he had, had another customer who successfully used this head to hold his telescope.

Here are some photos:-

4522_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4523_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4524_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4525_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4526_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4527_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4528_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4529_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards.

philsail1

Virtually my sentiments too!! As mentioned in the equipment help section I was about to do a post on the kood, so I'll add some of my thoughts here with you. Having received my medium duty version [12kg] of the kood early last week, I finally got round to using it in anger with my Celestron 102 short tube refractor and C6sgt. After looking at different alt-az mounts I came across the Kood and gave it a whirl [namely due to that full refund offer from Dovercourts]. Well, while it might not be in the ez touch / porta / voyager league I'd agree with you Philsail1 as to its attributes. I mounted the Kood to a eq2 tripod and this pairing makes for a featherweight grab and go set up, but still retaining usable stability. Using my 102 with the Kood I would say I'm very content with its movement in both axis and its stability. The C6sct on top of this medium duty Kood while great for general terrestial observing would have issues with 'fall back/balance' and accuracy when aiming onwards and upwards towards the zenith. Tightening the tensioner knobs stops this but at the expense of any form of fluid movement. A nice touch with the Kood is the ability to attach different scopes using the combined thread and dovetail holder. Telescope service charge 36 quid posted for a dovetail holder alone and if you unbolt the allen bolt at the centre of the dovetail holder you could probably use and attach this elsewhere..Am I keeping this mount.. definitely its a nice mount for the 102 and even the C6sct will get a look in now and again certainly when I'm terrestial observing. One day, I'd still like something like the ez touch but, for now, 30 odd quid spent against nearly £300 for the ez touch seems a great saving... [i have a wishlist as long as my arm!!] Philsail1, out of curiosity have you mounted a heavier scope on your 'meatier' version of the Kood?

Archived