NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD2 - what does this data tell me?

Regarding the target window, it appears it's constantly pulling to one side causing it to constantly correct in DEC. does this have to do with poor balancing, cable drag and so on, or might it be something completly different?

It's currently slightly off balance in both RA and DEC to reduce the issues i'm having with gear slack.

As for the guiding setup i'm using a QHY5L-IIM together with the finderscope (200mm F/4) (mounted with extra bolts to prevent flexing exept from what might be in the finderscope mounting bracket itself on the 200 PDS).

post-9520-0-64547500-1418072889_thumb.jp

Hi Jannis

Well not really an expert in PHD2 as just setting it up myself for my own setup, could be the balance ....but less likely to be flexure if the problem is constant but having used the sbig STV autoguider back in the film days another thing to try is adjusting the max movement in DEC and RA up a bit because if your gear mesh is slack you might be 'chasing' that mesh and balance issue in both axes by PHD2 only being allowed to correct around 50% with your max movement presently set at 1000 in both axes, try maybe 1500 to 2000 and see if that helps.

When I loaded PHD2 on my computer the default came up at 2000 in both axes so assume this might be their suggested start setting, you may even be able to drop the aggressiveness down a bit from 95% as this can sometimes cause overshoot if too high leading to elongated stars.

Mike

Archived