NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astroboot - 1.25" 18mm WA EP

RT65CB-SWL

I occaisionally buy some of my astro equipment from Astroboot and I am not ashamed to mention it! :icon_redface:

Anyway, I came across this...

post-4682-0-90442800-1417292701.jpg

...1.25" 18mm WA EP @ £8.00GBP* + p&p, so I ordered one.

It is fitted with a helical twist rubber eyecup and a 1.25inch nosepiece and also includes both end caps and a plastic bolt bottle for storage when not in use. Astroboot say "...is salvaged from a high-eye-point (long eye relief) binocular..." - whatever that means! :icon_colors:

This evening/tonight it has had its official firstlight. I did test it on the day it arrived for any anomalies and defects, so as far as I am concerned, that does not count.

To be honest, I am over the Moon with it. (OK! the pun was intentional). It was the first and obvious thing to look at this evening after all. Coupled to my 'modded' ETX105 @ 81.6x  and a diagonal. I managed to see Vallis Alpes, and then on to my favourite part of the Moon; Ptolemaeus, Alphonsus & Arzachel. (It even resovled the small crater Ptolemaeus B and the 'small mound' in the centre of Alphonsus with shadow too). Then it was coupled with my TeleVue Ranger @ 26.6x, and still very good lunar views. After that just star-hopping 'here and there' and then re-tested in both 'scopes with my barlow.

This is my unbiased opinion. I am not a critic and would not know where to start criticising or comparing against my other eyepieces but as long as it does the what it is supposed to do, or, "...Does exactly what it says on the tin!" ...then that is fine by me. I would like to say, that it is/was the best £10.50 that I have spent on anything. :icon_clown:

Thank you for reading.

* now £9.00GBP + p&p at time of writting.

Archived