Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unexpected session.

Unexpectedly (or should that be unbelievably?)the clouds broke last night,so I grabbed the opportunity with both hands,and eyes! This was only the second time out with my new Helios Apollo 15x70's,so I tended to concentrate old favourites. First off- M31.The Andromeda galaxy was high in the sky,and the bright core was immedietely visible.Extended viewing,and averted vision teased out more detail,and I have to say that I have never had such an extensive view of this object before. Then a leisurely stroll through Persius.Melotte 20was a brilliant chain running around alpha Perseii,the Double cluster was breathtaking,producing a "Wow!" from me,though I've seen it many times before.On to open cluster M34,Which stood out very nicely in the FOV.Then Stock2,and on to 'The Tadpole' and 'Kembles cascade'Another "Wow!"! I then trailed through Cassiopea and several clusters inc m103. I moved on to Auriga's clusters and asterisms,then finshed off with Taurus' show stoppers the Hyades and Pleiades. Aldebran's colour was really intense against the blackness of the sky,and the surrounding widely spaced cluster- the wild eye of menacing bull! A great session,re-visiting old friends via my new toy.The Apollos are proving to be a worthy instrument!

Archived