NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two web-links for stargazers and telescope owners

Piero

I decided to make available for download and editing two resources that I built over time: 

1) A spreadsheet enabling the insertion the data for (up to) 3 telescopes and (up to) 15 eyepieces. This spreadsheet calculates all the main formulas for selecting eyepieces with a specific set of telescopes. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lA6FuTd5LS-K_3PvzlWd8NvFRwgN0AKx9t-tY8NE79U/edit?usp=sharing

2) a list of slides containing the navigational stars and how to orientate and navigate through the sky in each season. 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1m_bBHcP4BMfLB_B0oqiAeYH0Qj-hcGwBvkRnKhFZVh8/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=60000&slide=id.p13

I hope you find these links useful. 

Best, Piero

Thank you, Gordon.

You often see spreadsheets or websites calculating the usual values (magnification, and field of view) and a lot of people select eyepieces based on these parameters (beside optic quality of course). However, there are other factors (e.g. weight, eye relief, exit pupil, etc) which are also important and I think the spreadsheet above makes an user think about his/her solution as a whole. 

Of course, all in there is theoretical and eventually it depends on the sky conditions, but I think too that it can provide a user with a guide regarding what to expect and how to make a more reasonable choice before purchasing new equipment. 

About the file containing the star alignments, again, I think it can be very useful for both beginners and non for navigate easily. I have to admit that I enjoy a lot looking for those main stars, seeing their connections across the sky, and thinking about ancient travellers..  :rolleyes:

I am currently located in NE England, I should have specified

Archived