NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor on a C8 - Mounting options?

Hi folks just a quick question, I'm looking at mounting a small refractor ontop of my C8 and was wondering what options I had to do this. I know there's an ADM kit with adjustable rings but its quite expensive so are there any cheaper options? it doesn't have to be adjustable just securely attached to the C8 :).

Also I'm wondering, I want the little frac for widefield to complement my C8 but has anyone ever piggybacked a small Newt? Might look a bit wacky but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has done this!

Cheers

Chris

Thanks alex, well that would save on the rings at least   :) So you are using the C8 radius blocks, bar, and ring clamps. I'll have a look on the FLO site to see what that adds up to. 

The kind of scopes I'm looking at tend to have an integrated tripod mounting shoe with 1/4" thread for a bolt. I'll have to see if theres a slot on the bar to feed the bolt through in which case I wouldn't need the clamps.

ps, thats a great setup :)

Thanks alex, well that would save on the rings at least   :) So you are using the C8 radius blocks, bar, and ring clamps. I'll have a look on the FLO site to see what that adds up to. 

The kind of scopes I'm looking at tend to have an integrated tripod mounting shoe with 1/4" thread for a bolt. I'll have to see if theres a slot on the bar to feed the bolt through in which case I wouldn't need the clamps.

ps, thats a great setup :)

I'm using the mini dovetail bar for celestron c8 and the Mini Dovetail System-Dovetail Adapters

It is a nice setup if the sky would only clear.  :smiley:

Thanks for your help Alex, I've spotted all the kit needed on the FLO sight and I can do it that way for around 100 pounds.

However, I've been doing some further research into having two scopes on one mount and this brought up the side by side option! I had previously dismissed this (I park my NEQ6 mounts RA axis horizontal so it clears my obsy roof). If I can get a bar which isn't too long this might be a better option as it would only cost a bit more for the side by side bar than the piggyback kit and it would allow more options for a second scope so I'm not limited to a small light frac, I could use a dirt cheap 130pds perhaps or an ED80.

I'll look at my obsy roof clearance more carefully before deciding for sure but if it too tight I'll be taking your approach :)

Many Thanks

Archived