SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy Club in Palmers Green/Enfield Area

Dear All, 

I have recently moved to the Parish of St. Monica in Palmers Green and I was wondering if there is an Astronomy Club around, or if, At least, are there some Astronomy enthusiasts who would like to meet in any of the parks for a sky watching evening (weather permitting)

Clear Skies to all.

Paulo.

Nearest clubs that I can identify that appear active are:
Hertford Astro Club - look in the Social Groups here as I believe they have recently moved and posted the details there.

Hampstead Garden AC - The postcode is NW11 7AG, put that in to Google maps for an idea.

Their website has activities for Oct+Nov this year.

There are a couple of SGL people around you, one is at Cheshunt.

If there are couple of others to meet up with then look at the Lee Valley for a semi dark area.

There are from the A10 side several carparks that you could set up in, but as said make it such that 2 or 3 go along - simply safety. I know the area a little as I take a mountain bike along the main tow path and go around some of the tracks and trails off of it. There are several good places that would be reasonable.

The other option is simply jump on the underground and get down to Regents Park for the Baker Street group when they meet up.

Having been around the Lee Valley it is quite dark once you are over the rail line and over the navigation.

There are 4 or 5 bridges that cross over and there are car parks on the East side.

There are some quite big "roads" in there, intended for cyclists and walkers but you can get 2 lorries side by side easily. Not sure on getting on to one with a car. If you get the chance look at what the situation is at the A421 at Waltham Cross.

If you look at a map there is a power substation marked, at the sort of North West corner of that there is a car park.

There is another car park pretty much in the middle you get to that from the East side but that will also be dark, or at least comparitively dark. Look for Fishers Green.

Again look on a map but just abouve the White Water Centre is a solid substantial bridge that you can drive over. Cannot recall specifically what is on the other side but I think it is fairly open.

You will always get LP from Cheshunt etc but that comes with the location.

However I guess that that area will be the darkest you are likely to get.

• 4 weeks later...

The astronomy society of haringey meet at ashmole school in Southgate

http://ashastro.co.uk

I live not far in oakwood but haven't been out much lately, and will be moving to Newcastle soon. It's about a 40min drive but West of London astro soc (Google WOLAS) meet in harrow and uxbridge on alternate months. They are very active and have a dark(er) site outside London that members can access on certain days.

Archived