Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some questions regarding the old Televue Pronto

Hi Everyone:

I have 3 questions regarding the old-style Pronto. I have a chance to buy a used version and wanted some help with these issues:

Was the pronto ever made with a 2 inch eyepiece version? Or only 1 1/4?

Are the newer Televue refractors with a similar aperture superior in terms of their optics / quality?

Is there a problem buying an old refractor? ie. the coatings will start to fade, etc?

Thanks!

-Charles

I never used the Tele Vue Pronto, but here are two links you might find useful: 

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV%20Pronto.htm

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/134560-unloved-televue-pronto/

Having a short FL, you can get wide field views also with 1.25" eyepieces (e.g. Panoptic 24 or Plossl 32). 

Tele Vue sells premium products, so I would be surprised it is not good. 

Piero

The Ponto was, by definition, sold with a 2 inch focuser. The 1.25 version was called the Ranger. It's worth having the Pronto because the widefield possibilities are marvellous.

There is, in principle, no reason whatever not to buy an old TeleVue. I've done so twice anb been delighted. The front cell can be recollimated and the focuser should last many lifetimes. Coatings are excellent and can, in any case, be seen and examined for damage.

The latest TVs are slightly better optically, as is to be expected, but the Pronto is a super scope giving good views at high power and excellent ones at low. I don't use my Pronto at high power because I have other scopes for that, but on low power widefield it is seriously good.

Mine had become a little shiny inside towards the rear and suffered from loss of contrast as a result. Some maniac had rolled a piece of emery cloth up and put it inside as a flocking solution forgetting, perhaps, that the particles are abrasive and come loose! No harm done, though. I just bought some thin acetate, covered it with proper flocking and rolled it up to slip it back into the focuser. Problem solved.

At one point this year we compared it as a spotter scope wth a very high end modern Zeiss. It was clearly outclassed in brightness and resolution but, for what one pays for a used Pronto, it held up pretty well. It cost a tenth of the price of the Zeiss, roughly speaking.

Using an old, beautifully made telescope is a pleasure. My Pronto is most certainly not for sale!

Olly

Archived