Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Book advice

Azelfafage

Hello,

I haven't posted for......a little while :sad:   In truth, I've been having to re-kindle my enthusiasm for getting out there & doing some hands-on observing after selling my Nexstar about 2 years ago - I found in the end that the advantages of goto were being cancelled out by continuously messing with calibrations, etc.

Perhaps it was just a personal thing.

So, for the time being, it's back to my binoculars. For now, I'm biding my time (and finances) about acquiring a suitable replacement telescope.

What I'd like to ask is, where can I get a full-volume modern edition of Webb's "Celestial Objects For Common Telescopes"? I nearly bought an edition on Amazon the other week, but held back because I have heard from various sources that what's on offer might only be covering single volumes of the original, and the descriptions given weren't that helpful.

I know it's not exactly cutting-edge observing info, but it's a book I've always had on my list of "things to read", if only to entertain :grin:

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

A.

I stuffed it into Google and it offered me:

Celestial Objects For Common Telescopes pdf,

So I tried that and the first result is the University of California have it available as a pdf to read and so to save.

The one they have is a 1904 edition.

I have not gone through it all to find out if the stated 270 pages is Vol1 or Vol1+2.

Last page says it was last taken out on Feb 1 1979.

Several places have it as a pdf or ebook, since one is Cambridge.org - the Cambridge University Press site, so it looks like it is freely available. I see that the Cambridge site say 3 sections, Instruments, Solar System, Starry Heavens.

It is one Google ebooks free and I have just downloaded The Starry Heavens section. Google have managed to spell Cygnus wrong in the chapter link on the web page.

One of them will allow you to read it until you decide on a hard copy from somewhere.

The Google site is good in that you can click and read a constellation at a time.

Archived