SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dust during image capture

Hi,

I have had a edge hd 8 for nearly a year and a few months ago purchased an as anasi120mm camera. I have recently been imaging the moon and noticed a lot of what appears to be dirt somewhere in the optical path. The camera is attached using a powermate X2.5 lens and a rack and pinion focuser. The dark spots are quite well defined so thought they were on the camera sensor. However, turning the camera with a bright lunar image on the laptop screen the dark spots stay put while the image rotates beneath.

I then tried turning the powermate independently and same thing, spots stay put. Could this indicate dirt on the corrector lens within the light baffle on these scopes?

My processed lunar images don't seem to be suffering from it and they appear to go during stacking and processing but early trials on jupiter seem to indicate the worst spots might end up getting added to the final image albeit diffuse and not defined as on the screen.

Anyone else seen something like this? If it is in the scope is this a return to Celestron for cleaning?

Can try and upload examples of these spots from stills from the original aviation if that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not daft at all. I work in IT so know some of the strange things people can report that turn out to be nothing. The dust marks or whatever they are move with the image on screen when I resize the application on the laptop screen so they are in the optical path but not sure where. I will clean the components again and try running it all in daylight as that might highlight where it is.

Just concerned that if this is inside the scope how it got there in the first place and that it might have to go back to be cleaned as I can't see a way of doing it myself safely. That is I don't trust myself not to break it!

Archived