Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Confusing noise

It was nice, cold (-5) and clear out last night so I took a some images and tried out some different settings. However the image noise isn't really behaving as I would have expected.

I seem to get lots of hot green pixels on my 5 min ISO 800 subs (I have been fighting these a lot in my processing), on the 10 min sub there are far less.

The 5 min ISO 3200 sub has far less noise than the ISO 800 subs, this may be partly due to the fact that the R pixels are turned off above ISO 1000 but it's still odd.

I attach three consecutive images of the Soul nebula taken with my Fuji finepix S5 pro. These are single uncalibrated subs.

I have also attached identical crops from the centre of the images.

All images have been debayered and had an identical single stretch in PI, no other processing done and in camera noise reduction is off.

If anyone has any thoughts on this they would be appreciated.

5min ISO 800

post-37404-141366031508_thumb.jpg

10min ISO 800

post-37404-141366033072_thumb.jpg

5min ISO 3200

post-37404-141366035957_thumb.jpg

Crops in the same order:

post-37404-1413660382_thumb.jpg

post-37404-141366039175_thumb.jpg

post-37404-141366040112_thumb.jpg

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Ok here is my master bias for ISO 800.

post-37404-141371930925_thumb.jpg

I stretched it to make the noise visible as otherwise it's black.

These frames are as original as I can post here, the non stretched frames are kinda dark so won't show anything as a jpg if I don't give them a stretch.

I can post my master dark and flat when I get on my laptop.

What I want to get rid of is the green hot pixels and I don't understand why they go away in the longer exposure.

You need to upload to a service like Dropbox. The trouble is, you can only assess noise on an un-stretched, original size image.

Many cameras mess with the image even if it's saved as a supposed RAW and the manufacturers won't reveal what processing is being done.

Andrew

Ok I'll try to do that but I'm travelling at the moment.

What's confusing me is that the noise isn't behaving as expected. The longer sub should have a better SNR but there should be more noise not less.

I would also have expected the noise to go up when changing from ISO 800 to ISO 3200, instead it went down a lot.

I would like to be able to understand what's happening with the noise so I can avoid it.

The fuji super CCD has large S pixels and smaller R pixels arranged in a Hexagonal pattern. This is designed to give a higher dynamic range.

Above ISO 1000 only the larger S pixels are used.

Ah so the noise reduction scales with exposure length and gain settings. I hadn't seen that review before.

This begins to make more sense, I realised that as with most DSLRs the camera doesn't output a truly raw file but I didn't realise that the noise reduction was so harsh when it is turned off.

It doesn't seem to be eating the stars though so not all bad.

I had worked out the rotation thing, it did throw me at first though.

Processing is fine, just go as normal then dynamic crop before exporting.

It's actually kinda nice having the black corners as they are truly empty of data so they give a good black point comparison ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived