NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommended dovetail clamp for Giro Ercole

Hi everyone.

I just received a Giro Ercole Alt/Az mount, and now need to get myself a good dovetail clamp.

I plan to get a Celestron C8 which comes with a CGE dovetail.

The clamp should be fitted on the mount via 2 bolts which are 3.5cm apart (center to center).

I've had an eye on the Altair TMS one : https://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16478

However, I am not sure if it would fit.

Would you have any recommendation on a price range of £60 or less ?

Many thanks,

Hugo.

I use this one from TS on my Ercole. It has slots starting from 21mm and definitely fits! Nice long clamping surface (150mm), although there is an 80mm available for a lower cost

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4531_Starway-dovetail-clamp-Vixen-GP-Level---length--150mm.html

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ADM one should fit OK, see FLO website under accessories

I would definitely check this, I don't believe it does. I have had several in the past and the hole spacing does not match the Giro type mounts. I had to have slots machined in a couple of mine, that's why I use the TS ones now as they fit as standard.

Stu

The TS model seems good, but I have to say that the ADM looks more secure with the 2-bolt system.

I have double checked the ADM option, and they have 4 different versions of the ADM Vixen style saddle.

For the Giro Ercole, I should pick the VSAD-TAK8 version, which fits the 35mm spacing.

Is that the one you have tried BigMak ?

The TS model seems good, but I have to say that the ADM looks more secure with the 2-bolt system.

I have double checked the ADM option, and they have 4 different versions of the ADM Vixen style saddle.

For the Giro Ercole, I should pick the VSAD-TAK8 version, which fits the 35mm spacing.

Is that the one you have tried BigMak ?

The TS is fine just with the single tightening bolt but if you can get the correct ADM then that sounds great. I haven't tried the part number you mentioned. I bought my ADM ones for something else, not specifically the Ercole. I had no idea ADM did different spacing versions so that's useful to know.

Stu

Archived